Thursday, July 24, 2014

Recipe: Veggie Burgers

I love cooking and baking and now that I have my KitchenAid Stand Mixer I can experiment and make anything and everything. I have used the mixer to make a few of my go-to recipes but I wanted to venture out of the box and get creative so I decided to try to make veggie burgers. The first batch didn't come out perfectly so I tried it again with some modifications and added ingredients and they came out amazing! I made about 5 big patties and we ate them all before I could take any pictures so I decided to try the recipe for a third time and make a huge batch of medium sized patties.

Ingredients needed to make about 16 patties:

Ingredients and pink mixer :)
-Black Beans (29 ounce can or two 15 ounce cans)
-1 Egg
-1 cup Breadcrumbs (can also use rolled oats)
-1/2 of a Green Pepper
-1/4-1/2 cup chopped Onion
-1 or 2 cloves chopped Garlic
-2 tablespoons Cumin
-Mustard (1 squirt, probably close to a tablespoon)
-1/2 cup chopped Broccoli

These can be cooked both on the grill and in a skillet-I did skillet because it was raining 

First, drain the beans as much as possible and put them in the mixer on medium speed until they look like a thick paste


Paste-like mixture
While they mix, put the green pepper, onion, broccoli, and garlic in a skillet to heat them up. They don't need to be fully cooked because they will continue cooking when the patties are on the grill/stove

Broccoli, green peppers, onions, garlic
Add the veggie mixture to the beans and mix that all up for a few seconds


Add the cumin and a dash of pepper


Add the egg and mix that on low speed until it seems to cover everything


I decided to squirt some yellow mustard while it was mixing to add flavor and to act as an additional adhesive (this is optional)


Slowly add in the breadcrumbs a little at a time so they cover the entire mixture

1 cup of breadcrumbs
 Roll balls out and form patties, not too thin because they will fall apart and not too thick because they won't cook evenly




If using stove, heat up skillet with either non-stick spray or oil

*If cooking on grill, preheat grill and cook each patty on foil for 5-8 minutes on each side before flipping*

Place patties in skillet and flip after about 5 minutes


Serve on bun with condiments and enjoy!


Love,





No comments:

Post a Comment